One of the wonderful opportunities of visiting Chaweng on Koh Samui is the variety of Beauty Salons and Hair-Cutting facilities that are accessible in this area. And although it can often be a little difficult deciding with your beautician exactly what you are looking for, the majority of these salons are designated for foreign visitors.
You will find everything from large to exotic, designer and fashion establishments to the regular barbershops with the candy cane signs outside, so if you’re on holiday and have time to escape your holiday villa before your hair turns into something resembling Rip Van Winkle, wander out to one of these facilities in Chaweng for a trim or a complete overhaul of your appearance.
Here are some key words to have at your side to let your barber or beautician know what you really need.
- griian : [of length] [is] very short; short; closely cropped
- sa set: shampoo and set
- dat phohm: to perm the hair; to get a permanent
- yeuut phohm: to straighten the hair; hair straightening
- tham see phohm: to colour hair; hair colouring
- hai lai[t]: [Thai transcription of the foreign loanword, “highlight”] to colour hair with highlights; hair highlights
- drai: [Thai transcription of the foreign loanword, “dry”] (i.e.) blow-dry
- tham hai lai[t]: to highlight hair
- sa ra saawy: shampoo and trim (hair)
- nuaat naa: face massage
- khat naa: facial (treatment)